Monday, November 14, 2011

I Changed My Mind


A little over a week ago I posted about Puppy having a meltdown.  Well, on Friday he had another one.  I began to write about that evening, but it only made me flashback to the emotions and horror of that night.  I changed my mind.  So to try and understand as much as I can about the how and why Puppy does what he does, I took to catching up with other bloggers in the autism community. 

Today, I read two separate blogs by two fathers of children with autism.  One is personal in writing about his son, but is also an informative blogger with references to autism studies or what’s in the news.  The other father is also detailed in writing about his family and the daily challenges they face together.   However, both fathers wrote that they were repeatedly being corrected about the way they spoke about their children’s autism.  One child is high-functioning and the other isn’t.  So already their experiences will be different.  One is not more right or more accurate than the other.  I know I would never see one correcting the other on the habits and characteristics of their child with autism. 

This made me wonder about what my readers think.  My blog is so small and probably still considered in the beginning stages that I have not taken to writing about every time that Puppy has a moment, tantrum, melt down, or whatever.   It must be because now I, too, am aware of others out there reading my experiences and being critics about how I handled a situation at home.  Now I think, did I say the right thing? Did I approach Puppy with the best redirection?  I know others will say, it doesn’t matter what anyone might say or think, but it’s difficult not to consider this.  I do know that like the two dads above, I write because I hope to help someone else understand the challenges and everyday living with a child with autism.  It’s a tough job, but the rewards are well worth it.

Well, today’s post was not what I was expecting to write, but I’ll gather my thoughts and write again.

0 comments: