Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Communication

It seems that my son is now very much aware of the daily communication between his teacher and myself. We have a small spiral notebook that Puppy keeps in his backpack, and we alternate writing in it every day to keep on top of his behaviors at home and at school.

Our communication began because I wanted to know how he does at school and away from me, since kids will act differently away from parents. But mostly, he was starting middle school with a new teacher at a new campus, and I needed to find a way to monitor what was happening. My worries were real and deep after the multiple and severe restraints that took place the previous two years while he was in 4th and 5th grades.

But as time went by, we began to see that our communication was more than that. It became a part of the ABA therapy process. Although we are not using the ABC Chart (Antecedent, Behavior, Consequence and Possible Function), the fact that I write down everything that is important in his behavior during our time together, it is reviewed by the teacher and we can discuss what actions to take so that we don’t confuse Puppy with using different techniques or practices. Keeping on the same page with each other has been instrumental to getting us where we are today. We are coming along just fine.

0 comments: