Friday, January 27, 2012

Daycare or No Daycare?


Remember those two good days I wrote about?  Yesterday just cancelled them out.

It’s difficult to understand what is going on in Puppy’s mind.  I have no idea how he interprets information, reasons with situations that arise, or satisfies his needs to comprehend.

Thursday started off on the right foot and he was ready to begin his day.  He went to school on the bus and was even early for it.  When the teacher doesn’t text me throughout the day, I can only assume he’s doing well. Like every weekday, after the bell rings, Puppy is bussed to the daycare where he spends about 3 hours a day.  I had an errand to run after work and I ask Ms. H to pick him up for me and take him home.

I get a call from Ms. H telling me he’s in the car with her and he’s fine.  But his teacher needs to talk to me the today.  Puppy had a tantrum at daycare.   He blew up, the pressure caught up to him. I can only guess it was building from not having anything to carry in his pockets. From not being able to use paper. These are my guesses, but he tells me it's that there are too many little kids. The story is he was doing homework, then without warning he yells, curses, hits his head on the table, punches the table and even tried to strike the two teachers in the room.  So far this has been the worst episode at daycare.  He’s had small tantrums with foul language and some self-injury, but never the striking at people.  I truly feel this was the straw that broke the camel’s back, and I’m going to be asked to leave the daycare with my son.  I hope I’m wrong, but they aren’t staffed with experienced personnel to handle a child with autism.  They were kind enough to give it a try.  Especially since the good days greatly outweigh the bad ones.

Before I went home, I got on the phone with his teacher and relayed what had happened.  With both of us confused, I asked if she had any suggestions for me.  I may have to find an alternative to after school care.  I’ll keep you posted on what happens when I pick him up from daycare today.  Cross finger and toes we don’t get kicked out.

0 comments: