Sunday, July 3, 2011

ESY and Reading

I'm going to have to go back a few weeks to update what has been going on in our daily lives. Sorry for this, but I know it's my own fault for not blogging regularly.

Puppy had four (4) weeks of Extended School Year which were over June 30. It was good to keep his routine going as long as possible. He still hasn't learned to keep track of the days of the week. He understands the days he attends classes are Monday through Thursday. Then he has one full day at daycare on Fridays. And that we stay home other days, on the weekends. But I haven't been able to keep his interest in following the calendar. Or at least, not unless it's counting down to a special day, then he will manage to make it to the fridge and mark each day as it goes by.

He did so well with his reading during the year and summer. However, give him something new to read and he puts out all the stops saying it's not what he learned in school and simply says, "I don't know". Puppy has always had the habit of seeing the first letter of a word and then saying any word that comes to mind with that same first letter. This explains why he doesn't mind reading what's already familiar to him; the first letter will obviously be one of the words he has been reading for several days. But then again, isn't that how we all begin to read? He just needs to find his own way to keep the words he knows visually and how to spell or write them in his memory bank for later. And unfortunately, that does not come easy for him.

I have much more to write about June days, but he's bugging me that he's bored and we need to get out of this house that is quickly getting warmer as we speak. I know I haven't mentioned this, but my A/C is not working and with temperatures staying in the upper 90's to lower 100's; we need to get out of here. Ah, did I mention it's the Fourth of July weekend and repairs won't be made until after Tuesday? Wish us luck. I'll follow up on this adventure later.

0 comments: