Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Broken Record

I wrote in Puppy’s notebook today, and told the teacher that I feel like a broken record. However, this song is one I don’t mind repeating on a daily basis. For those that don’t understand, it’s similar to pressing the repeat button on the MP3 or CD player. My song: Puppy is improving everyday with more positive behaviors.

Anytime that Puppy is displaying any negative behavior, we try to correct it by first telling him what was wrong, but it does not go without giving him the replacement behavior. For example, if he is speaking in a loud tone, I will put my hand up to show him to stop what he is doing. I will tell him he is talking loudly and that I am close to him so he can use a softer voice. Then I will give him the simple example of talking loud like was doing, as well as the softer tones that are more pleasant. We might laugh during the lesson, but that would be only to reinforce that it was not a serious poor behavior and that I am not angry with him. And life goes on. I’ll probably be doing this for several weeks, but Puppy is already showing great progress.

On a side note, I can't do this alone; I have support from family, friends and school staff. It is taking many caring people to raise my child. I'm lucky to have each one in our lives.

0 comments: