Saturday, October 23, 2010

Tired

What was that motto I have on my twitter profile? Oh yes, one day at a time.  And one day at a time is the only way to approach each challenging day.

The first wake up from Puppy was around 8:00 AM requesting permission to eat cereal. And if he can fix it himself it's a 'yes'.  After his cereal he was ready to continue his morning and he dressed himself, grabbed his shoes, put them on and he was out the door.  Luckily I have chimes on all doors and windows, because I literally jumped out of bed, went to the bedroom at the front of the house and hollered at him to come inside.  I heard him come up the stairs and saw his sweet face look at me and he says, "Good morning, mom...what's wrong?"  In my sleepy calm voice I whisper to him, "Puppy, you should not go outside alone, especially without letting me know. I don't want a stranger to take you. I love you and you need to stay inside until I can watch you."  I can laugh about it now because I remember that at that moment I wanted to yell at him and say, "couldn't you have given me just five more minutes of sleep, please!" But I'm so glad I didn't.

As most weekends go, that was the time I needed to get up because he is not going to go back to bed no matter how many times I asked him to and told him it is too early.  Sad part is he doesn't like to sit in front of a TV and watch cartoons or anything else for that matter.  He wants me to watch him, or talk to him or make him a warm breakfast.  So we had breakfast together and he took his meds and our day was ready to start again.

It was a very long day for me. One of Puppy's obsessions took control of him all day.  "It" was on his mind the entire day, at home, at grandma and grandpa's, and while driving around from place to place. He was so frustrated and angry with himself and at me for not agreeing with him or giving in to him.  He didn't like that there were consequences that came with today's actions and behaviors.  It is getting more difficult to apply discipline when he is picking up poor habits from other classmates at school.  Puppy is starting to talk back and shrug his shoulders whenever he disapproves or doesn't want to answer my questions.  Yeah, at twelve years he's already acting like a teenager.

This is the short version of what happened today, but believe me...it was a very long day.  Lord help me and grant me all the patience I need to handle my one day at a time.

Claire

0 comments: